Why is the TSATA getting involved with Apprenticeship?
The TSATA Education Committee intends to promote, enhance and advance the Texas Licensure Apprenticeship (Method A), by offering an Endorsement program. We hope to improve organization, guidance, and modeling of curriculum and apprenticeship. We intend to, not only raise test scores, but improve the communication and administration with TSATA, TDLR and the Universities and Colleges that provide Apprenticeship Programs for Athletic Training.
What is required to become a TSATA Endorsed Apprenticeship program?
- Pay the TSATA an endorsement fee $650 US Dollars – $300 to fund committee oversight, work, and in-service. Plus, the cost of ATrack ($350) for program mapping and organization by October 15th of each year. Again, the cost of ATrack is $350 per program (with 25 students or less).
- Students in the Apprenticeship will be required to have subscription to their institution’s ATrack ($45 per year or $90 for lifetime).
- Obtain and set-up the ATrack program for record keeping. This program will allow mapping of coursework, student activities (clock hours, check-offs, and program forms) and it will serve as the Manual for the program (the cookbook).
- Identify an Apprenticeship Director. This person will be the point of contact for the program and will be responsible for the organization of the Apprenticeship program.
- Obtain and sign an agreement between the institution and TSATA to stay compliant to Endorsement rules and procedures set forth by TSATA. Please see form 1. Must be signed by the Apprenticeship Director.
- The program must ensure that there is a process by which students must have a cumulative GPA of a 2.5 or better in all qualifying course work that is used to sit for the TDLR licensing exam.
- Post annual results of 1st time pass rates of the Apprenticeship Program (4 year institutions only) on their institutional website. – Mandatory each September 1 after their 1st year in the Endorsement program. TSATA Education Committee will verify this posting each year for each institution.
- TSATA Endorsed Institutions will agree to not share TSATA education materials/content with non-endorsed Institutions for copyright purposes.
How much does it cost?
The Endorsement fee is $650 US Dollars annually – $300 to fund committee oversight, work, and in-service. Cost of ATrack ($350) for program mapping and organization by October 15th of each year. Costs of ATrack is $350 per program (with 25 students or less).
Students in the Apprenticeship will be required to have subscription to their institution’s ATrack ($45 per year or $90 for lifetime).
Does my Apprenticeship program have to do this to continue our student program?
No, it is completely voluntary. Texas State Law sets Method A and requirements. This program offers to way to enhance communication, organization and completion of Method A.
Can an Apprenticeship program pay for ATrack subscriptions for the students?
Yes, the institution can purchase or pay for the student service fees. Again, Cost to students for ATrack: $45 per year or a $90 per year. The Apprenticeship program can pay for the subscriptions and have the individual students pay the program back thru lab fees or etc.
My University offered a Bachelor’s of Science in Athletic Training at one time, can we continue?
An institution may continue to award degrees named BS in Athletic Training if approved by the Texas Commission on Higher Education and the institution’s curriculum committee/Provost.
Can an “out of state” institution become an Endorsed Program?
Yes; however, they must first comply with all the Method A requirements set by the TDLR for Licensure (State Law). Then they may apply and be granted Endorsement by the TSATA if they meet all the requirements.
Okay, my University and our Apprenticeship program joins, pays the fees, what is next?
The Committee assigns members to assist your program in gaining the endorsement. At first, your Apprenticeship program will be listed in Candidacy and after ATrack set-up and all requirements have been met, your Apprenticeship can gain TSATA Endorsement.
How long will it take to gain this endorsement?
It really depends on the Apprenticeship program itself; organization and having some requirements already in place will help. It could 3 months to a whole year to gain the Endorsement.
Who can be the Apprenticeship Director for my Apprenticeship Program?
Any State licensed Athletic Trainer who is an employee of the University and is associated with the Apprenticeship program at that University. It can be the Head Athletic Trainer or their designee or an academic Athletic Trainer at the said University. The Endorsement program needs to have a contact person with the Apprenticeship program for organization and information exchange. Under Method A, the supervising Athletic Trainers still can do as they have done for clinical clock hour sign offs.