Middle School Athletic Trainer
Job Title: Middle School Athletic Trainer
Reports To: Athletic Coordinator
Work under the direction of team physician to carry out activities in the following areas:
prevention, evaluation, emergency treatment, physical reconditioning, and rehabilitation of injuries.
Help the feeding high school in the offseason as needed.
Valid License from Texas Advisory Board of Athletic Trainers
Texas Teaching Certification
BOC Certification preferred
Ability to provide injury prevention and rehabilitation services
Ability to provide emergency care
Knowledge of therapeutic modalities and ability to apply appropriate treatment to treat student
Ability to instruct and supervise student athletes and assistants
Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Preferred experience as an athletic trainer
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Plan and implement a comprehensive athletic injury and illness prevention program for student athletes.
- Attend practice sessions and athletic contests as assigned by the athletic coordinator.
- Establish and maintain effective communication with students, parents, medical and paramedical personnel, coaches, and other staff.
- Provide physical conditioning training to student athletes.
- Fit injured athletes with specialized equipment and oversee its use.
- Implement and coordinate the concussion oversight team for the district.
- Prepare athletes for games and practices by conducting evaluations and using tape, wraps, splints, braces, and other protective devices as needed.
- Respond to emergencies and make quick, independent judgments about how to deal with injuries.
- Establish an emergency action plan protocol to be used for your campus.
- Identify acute injuries and provide first-aid triage, including assessing injuries and deciding whether an athlete should seek further medical attention and should discontinue participation in the athletic event.
- Detect and resolve environmental risks to athletes.
- Plan and put in place a comprehensive rehabilitation and reconditioning program for injuries and illnesses sustained by student athletes.
- Determine therapeutic goals and objectives for individual athletes.
- Apply therapeutic modalities and instruct athletes on proper use of exercise equipment.
- Evaluate and record rehabilitation progress of athletes. Develop criteria for progression and return to practice competition.
- Follow professional, ethical, and legal parameters regarding use of drugs and therapeutic agents for treatment and rehabilitation of injured athletes.
- Coordinate scheduling of athletic physical examinations and screening.
- Select, train, and supervise student athletic training aides.
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents including medical, accident, and treatment records as required.
- Maintain an inventory of athletic training supplies and equipment. Requisition additional supplies as needed.
Supervise the work of student athletic training aides
Exercise equipment and devices including stationary bike, pulleys, weights, whirlpools, paraffin
baths, ultrasound equipment, electrical stimulation, GameReady, hydrocollators, and
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress. Continual walking and standing; moderate lifting and
carrying; stooping, bending, kneeling, and reaching. Work outside (exposure to sun, heat, cold,
and inclement weather) and inside. Exposure to biological hazards, bacteria, and communicable diseases. Frequent district wide and statewide travel; frequent prolonged and irregular hours.
Nora Leon LAT, ATC
Head Athletic Trainer
Centennial High School
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org