Job Description: Teacher – Athletic Trainer
|Job Title:||Athletic Trainer||Duty Days:||207|
|Reports to:||Principal and Athletic Director||Pay Grade:||Teacher Pay Structure/Coaching Supplement|
|Dept/School:||Campus Assigned||Pay Schedule:||Teacher Pay Structure/Coaching Supplement|
Plan, coordinate, and supervise all components of athletic training program for student athletes. Also work under the direction of team physician to carry out activities in the following areas: prevention, evaluation, emergency treatment, physical reconditioning, and rehabilitation of injuries.
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree preferred
- First Aid/CPR and AED Certification Required
- Valid license, or ability to obtain license, from Texas Advisory Board of Athletic Trainers Required
- National Athletic Training Board of Certification Required
- Bilingual English/Spanish Preferred
- Ability to provide injury prevention; rehabilitation services and emergency care
- Knowledge of therapeutic modalities and ability to apply appropriate treatment to treat student athletic injuries
- Ability to instruct and supervise student athletes and assistants.
- Must be able to organize, prioritize, and perform multiple tasks with little or no supervision.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Plan and implement a comprehensive and high quality athletic injury and illness prevention program for student athletes.
- Attend practice sessions and athletic contests as assigned by athletic director.
- Prepare athletes for games and practices by conducting assessments, prevention plans for treatment, rehabilitation, and use of such equipment and supplies as tape, wraps, splints, braces, and other protective devices as needed.
- Respond to emergencies and make quick, independent judgments about how to deal with injuries.
- Identify acute injuries and provide first-aid triage, including assessing injuries and deciding whether an athlete should seek further medical attention and should discontinue participation in the athletic event.
- Establish specific procedures to be carried out by a coach or student trainer in the event of a medical emergency.
- Ensure athletic insurance claims are administered, organized and documented.
- Monitor weather and comply with district policies to determine safety of outdoor athletic activities and events.
- Participate in providing comprehensive medical coverage for all home athletic events for high school teams and all sports for designated junior high schools.
- Establish and maintain effective communication with students, parents, medical, paramedical personnel, coaches, and other staff.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the daily operation for the athletic training facility.
- Maintain comprehensive emergency action plans for designated District venues.
- Assist with maintenance of the athletic training student-aid program in accordance with the school’s clubs and activities guidelines and state law.
- Maintain a working relationship with designated team physician, District nursing staff, and community physicians.
- Assist with review and update all Sports Medicine Department policies regarding health care outlined in the Sports Medicine section of the school’s Athletic Department policies and procedures manual.
- Maintain an inventory of all sports medicine supplies, training supplies, equipment, and facilities. Requisition additional supplies as needed.
- Plan and put in place a comprehensive rehabilitation and reconditioning program for injuries and illnesses sustained by student athletes.
- Evaluate, record and maintain rehabilitation progress of athletes. Develop criteria for progression and return to practice and competition.
- Follow professional, ethical, and legal parameters regarding use of drugs and therapeutic agents for treatment and rehabilitation of injured athletes.
- Evaluate and record accurate athlete injury and illness documentation through sports injury tracking software.
- Provide education in therapeutic modalities rehabilitative exercise, and recovery techniques for student athlete welfare.
- Coordinate, schedule and supervise athletic training services for all sports 7-12; schedule athletic physical examinations and screenings.
- Select, train, and supervise student assistants.
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents including medical, accident, and treatment records as required.
- Assist with review and update of all Sports Medicine Department policies regarding health care outlined in the Sports Medicine section of the school’s Athletic Department policies and procedures manual.
Professional Growth and Other
- Participate in staff development activities to improve job-related skills
- Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on staff committees as required
- Model behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor or other administrators that are consistent with the general requirements and qualifications for the position
- Supervise the work of student assistants.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors
The working conditions described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations.
- Tools/Equipment Used: Standard office equipment including personal computer and peripherals; defibrillator, exercise equipment and devices including stationary bike, pulleys, weights, whirlpool, paraffin bath, ultrasound equipment, and cold packs
- Posture: Prolonged sitting; occasional bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
- Motion: Repetitive hand motions, frequent keyboarding and use of mouse; occasional reaching
- Lifting: Occasional light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds), Move small stacks of textbooks, media equipment, desks, and other classroom equipment.
- Environment: Frequent districtwide travel; occasional statewide travel
- Mental Demands: Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com