Job Title: Athletic Trainer Services
Salary Block: Teacher Salary Scale/15 days/$14,0000 Non-Teaching stipend
Reports To: Principal
Terms of Employment: 187 Days
Exemption Status: Exempt
The link to apply is : https://my.sisd.net/public_apps/jobs/postings/?type=Certified
The primary duties of this employee are to plan, coordinate, and supervise all components of athletic
training program for student athletes. Also works under the direction of the team physician to carry out
activities in the following areas: prevention, evaluation, emergency treatment, physical reconditioning,
and rehabilitation of injuries.
o Bachelor’s Degree
o Valid license from Texas Advisory Board of Athletic Trainers
• Ability to provide injury prevention and rehabilitation services
• Ability to provide emergency care
• Knowledge of therapeutic modalities and ability to apply appropriate treatment to treat student
• athletic injuries
• Ability to instruct and supervise student athletes and assistants
• Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
• One (1) year experience as an athletic trainer or as an intern
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Plans and implements a comprehensive athletic injury and illness prevention program for
2. Attends practice sessions and athletic contests as assigned by the principal or designee.
3. Provides and coordinates adequate home and away athletic training event coverage and
services to secondary schools’ athletic teams.
4. Establishes and maintains effective communication with students, parents, medical and
paramedical personnel, coaches, and other staff.
5. Provides physical conditioning training to student athletes.
6. Provides the school nurse with pertinent injury information.
7. Fits injured athletes with specialized equipment and oversees its use.
8. Prepares athletes for games and practices by conducting evaluations and using tape, wraps,
splints, braces, and other protective devices as needed.
9. Responds to emergencies and makes quick, independent judgments about how to deal with
10. Identifies acute injuries and provides first-aid triage, including assessing injuries, deciding
whether an athlete should seek further medical attention, and/or whether an athlete should
discontinue participation in the athletic event.
11. Establishes specific procedures to be carried out by a coach or student trainer in the event of
a medical emergency.
12. Detects and resolves environmental risks to athletes.
13. Refers athletes to the appropriate outside medical professional when the injury is beyond the
scope of the trainer’s capabilities.
14. Plans and puts in place a comprehensive rehabilitation and reconditioning program for
injuries and illnesses sustained by student athletes.
15. Provides injured athletes with specific treatments prescribed by a referring physician.
16. Determines therapeutic goals and objectives for individual athletes.
17. Applies therapeutic modalities and instructs athletes on proper use of exercise equipment.
18. Evaluates and records rehabilitation progress of athletes; develops criteria for progression of
rehabilitative activities and return to practice and competition.
19. Follows professional, ethical, and legal parameters regarding use of drugs and therapeutic
agents for treatment and rehabilitation of injured athletes.
20. Coordinates scheduling of athletic physical examinations and screening.
21. Selects, trains, and supervises student assistants.
22. Compiles, maintains, and files all physical and computerized reports, records, and other
documents including medical, legal, and insurance, accident, and treatment records as required.
23. Maintains an inventory of training supplies and equipment; requisitions additional supplies as
24. Assists in the processing of “school-purchased” insurance claims.
25. Maintains a clean and healthy environment within the athletic training room.
26. Maintains, updates, and organizes inventory of athletic training equipment and supplies.
27. Prepares and processes the yearly athletic training supplies bid.
28. Routinely inspects, cares for, and maintains athletic training and medical equipment for
practice and event use.
29. Reports unsafe equipment, conditions, facilities, and practices to the school administration.
30. Upholds and adheres to safety rules and policies of the SISD safety program.
31. Supports the goals and objectives of the school district and follows all district policies.
32. Performs any other duties as assigned by appropriate supervisor.
33. Demonstrates the ability to attend work on a regular and routine basis to avoid disruption to
34. Provides optimal customer service to all students, employees, parents, community members
and any other stakeholders of the district.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Mental Demands: Maintains emotional control under stress; continual walking and standing; moderate
lifting and carrying; stooping, bending, kneeling, and reaching; Works outside (exposure to sun, heat, cold,
and inclement weather); exposure to biological hazards, bacteria, and communicable disease.
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors: Frequent district-wide and state-wide travel; frequent
prolonged and irregular hours
This job description describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an
exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.
Evaluation: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with the provisions of Board policy
Christopher Lopez MS, LAT, ATC, CES
District Athletic Trainer Socorro ISD
To apply for this job please visit my.sisd.net.