La Joya ISD
Athletic Trainer – Palmview High School
La Joya Independent School District Athletic Trainer
Wage/Hour Status: Exempt
Pay Grade: Teacher Salary Schedule
Initiated Date: April 5, 2004
Revised Date: September 9, 2012
District Primary Purpose: To assist and promote La Joya ISD in implementing a rigorous curriculum/instructional program that supports student success and achievement.
Department Primary Purpose: The mission of the LJISD Athletic Department, a partner in academics and athletics, is to ensure and enhance the quality of life for the youth of our school district by providing competitive activities. These activities will produce young men and woman able to enter the community and become constructive, contributing members of society.
Education/Certification Bachelor’s degree from accredited university
Valid license form Texas Department of Health Advisory Board of
Knowledge/Skills: Knowledgeable in the recognition, evaluation and treatment of injuries. Knowledgeable in anatomy and physiology.
Certified in cardiopulmonary resuscitation and emergency first aid.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Serve as a role model that exemplifies leadership, moral character, commitment, sportsmanship, and dedication by modeling to athletes and coaching staff the same behavior required of them in practice and competition.
- Act as a resource person and consultant to coaches on conditioning programs, and the fitting of athletic equipment.
- Implement a program for physical examinations for all prospective athletes before their first year of competition at the high school level.
- Administer a program to provide emergency care, treatment, and rehabilitation of injured athletes under direction and supervision of the team physician (this will be worked out by training staff).
- Establish specific procedures to be carried out by a coach and/or student trainer in the event of an emergency when care of an athlete is needed (as decided by the staff).
Dept./School: Assigned Campus
High School Principal/ Campus Principal
- Adhere to all athletes requesting to see the trainer or physician and refer all athletes with an injury, which indicates the need to see a physician, first to our team physician’s group and ensuring that all referrals be assigned by LJISD trainers.
- Take responsibility for the use of therapeutic modalities, under the physician’s and coordinating trainer’s direction, in the treatment and rehabilitation of injuries.
- Communicate with parents, physicians, and coaches concerning injured athletes and keep the injured athlete’s coach informed of the athlete’s playing or practice status.
- Determine the athlete’s return to practice or playing status, following an athletic injury. (Return may also be determined by team physician).
- Supervise scheduled varsity athletic events involving their teams at central sites and at home sub- varsity athletic events as directed by the Athletic Coordinator, Trainer, and Principal.
- Initiate and process all athletic injury claims and medical statements for payment.
- Travel with all teams that advance into the playoffs, unless ruled otherwise by the Athletic Coordinator.
- Procure athletic physicals, parent approvals, insurance information, and doctor referrals for each athlete participating in every sport.
- Document incidents and maintain records involving athletic injuries, referrals to physicians, and treatments given on a daily basis.
- Verify medical bills for payment.
- Go to approved in-service programs, clinics, symposiums, and conventions for athletic training license.
- Follow district lettering requirements and require signatures from both athletes and parents to document that they have been notified.
- Schedule weekly visitation to feeder middle schools for evaluations of injuries and recommendations of treatment.
- Work directly with high school coordinators to complete any tasks deemed necessary to enhance the athletic program at that particular campus.
Shift Type Salary Range Location
$51,000.00 / Per Year Palmview High School
- Maintain high level of cleanliness at all central sites (i.e. dressing rooms-ISD Stadium BB/SB Complex).
- Understand and follow the rules and regulations set forth by all governing agencies including, but not limited to: UIL, TEA, National Federation Governing Associations, Board Education, and the school administration.
- Perform other duties related to the athletic program, as stipulated by LJISD.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILTIES: None
EVALUATION: By High School Principal and Athletic Director WORKING CONDITIONS:
Ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written); interpret policy and procedures; maintain emotional control under stress.
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Frequent district-wide and occasional statewide travel; occasional prolonged and irregular hours.
POSITION WORKING DAYS: 187 Days
All applications must be submitted on line for professional and clerical positions to the La Joya I.S.D. Office of Human Resources Department. (www.lajoyaisd.com)
Yvonne Flores Ayala, Campus Principal
To apply for this job please visit www.lajoyaisd.com.