JOB TITLE: Athletic Trainer
REPORTS TO: Athletic Director and District Athletic Trainer
DEPARTMENT: Athletic/Campus Assigned
WAGE/HOUR: AISD Pay Scale plus stipend
PAY GRADE: Teacher/Librarian/Nurse
ROLE AND PURPOSE: Plan, coordinate, and supervise all components of athletic training program for student athletes.
Also work under the direction of team physician to carry out activities in the following areas: prevention, evaluation,
emergency treatment, physical reconditioning, and rehabilitation of injuries.
Valid license from Texas Advisory Board of Athletic Trainers
Special Knowledge and Skills
Ability to provide injury prevention and rehabilitation services
Ability to provide emergency care
Knowledge of therapeutic modalities and ability to apply appropriate treatment to treat student athletic
Ability to instruct and supervise student athletes and assistants
Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Illness/Injury Prevention and Treatment
1. Plan and implement a comprehensive athletic injury and illness prevention program for student athletes.
2. Attend practice sessions and athletic contests as assigned by athletic coordinator.
3. Establish and maintain effective communication with students, parents, medical and paramedical personnel, coaches, and other staff.
4. Fit injured athletes with specialized equipment and oversee its use.
5. Prepare athletes for games and practices by conducting evaluations and using tape, wraps, splints, braces, and other protective devices as needed.
6. Respond to emergencies and make quick, independent judgments about how to deal with injuries.
7. Identify acute injuries and provide first-aid triage, including assessing injuries and deciding whether an athlete should seek further medical attention and should discontinue participation in the athletic event.
8. Establish specific procedures to be carried out by a coach or student trainer in the event of a medical
1. Plan and put in place a comprehensive rehabilitation and reconditioning program for injuries and illnesses sustained by student athletes.
2. Determine therapeutic goals and objectives for individual athletes.
3. Apply therapeutic modalities and instruct athletes on proper use of exercise equipment.
4. Evaluate and record rehabilitation progress of athletes. Develop criteria for progression and return to practice and competition.
5. Follow professional, ethical, and legal parameters regarding use of drugs and therapeutic agents for treatment and rehabilitation of injured athletes.
1. Select, train, and supervise student assistants.
2. Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents including medical, accident, and treatment records as required.
3. Maintain and inventory of training supplies and equipment. Requisition additional supplies as needed.
1. Supervise the work of student assistants.
Exercise equipment and devices including stationary bike, pulleys, weights, whirlpool, paraffin bath, ultrasound
equipment, and cold packs.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress. Continual walking and standing; moderate lifting and carrying; stooping, bending, kneeling, and reaching. Work outside (exposure to sun, heat, cold, and inclement weather) and inside.
Exposure to biological hazards, bacteria, and communicable diseases. Frequent districtwide and statewide travel; frequent prolonged and irregular hours.
Steve J. Guadalupe ATC, LAT
Arlington Independent School District
District Athletic Trainer
Athletics Health & Safety
AISD Athletic Center-Arena
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org